1. Please call your primary care physician to set up an appointment for your medical clearance (please have your physician fill out the Report of Physical Findings). This medical clearance should be completed within 30 days of your surgery date. Bring the Report of Physical Findings form to your medical clearance appointment at the surgery center. Please have the doctor’s office also mail, fax or email us a copy of the form at firstname.lastname@example.org
2. Please make sure that someone will be able to accompany you home after your surgery. You will not be able to take a bus or taxi home by yourself because of the anesthesia you will receive during your procedure. You may take a taxi or bus, however, if you have an adult companion.
3. Do not eat or drink anything 8 hours before your surgery or it may be cancelled.
4. If you are taking blood pressure medication that is normally taken in the morning, please take it with a small sip of water only.
5. Do not take Aspirin, Aspirin containing products, fish oil, vitamin E or other blood thinning medications/supplements for 2 weeks prior to your surgery. The exception is Warfarin/Coumadin, for which the doctor will give specific instructions (this is usually stopped for 5 days). These medications should also not be taken for 1 week after surgery (the exception is Warfarin/Coumadin, for which the doctor will give specific instructions). If you forget to stop taking a supplement or medication that we requested you cease, we would be happy to reschedule your surgery to a date when it is safer for you. Please call the office to discuss the options for your particular case.
6. For a detailed list of medications to avoid, please click here.
7. Please consult with your primary care physician on discontinuation of blood thinning medications prior to surgery if you have been advised to take them for medical reasons.
8. Please bring a complete list of your home medications and supplements with you on the day of your surgery.