GENERAL POST OPERATIVE INSTRUCTIONS
For additional dacryocystorhinostomy (DCR) specific instructions, please Click here.
1. After surgery, use an ice pack over the operated eye(s). To use the ice pack, put ice in a plastic bag or you may use a bag of frozen vegetables. Place a wash cloth over the ice and then gently put it over the eye. Apply for 20 minutes, then rest for 20 minutes. Please repeat this process during the day for the first 2 ½ days after surgery.
2. Apply the ointment 3 times a day to the stitches, unless otherwise instructed. You may use a clean Q-tip to spread the ointment gently over the stitches. If asked to place ointment in the eyes, place a ¼ inch ribbon into the operated eye 3 times a day. You may do this by pulling down on the lower eyelid and putting a small ¼ inch ribbon of the ointment into the eyes. It is normal for the vision to be blurry after putting in the ointment, and for a few days following discontinuation of ointment use.
3. Do not sleep on your operated side. Sleep with two pillows to elevate your head for the first week after surgery. This will decrease swelling.
4. Do not shower for the first 24 hours after the surgery. After the first 24 hours you may shower, but do not allow the water to spray directly on the incision sites. Gently pat the eyes dry after showering.
5. Stay out of the sun. The sun will make the incision line where the stitches are stay red for a much longer time. UV protection is very important for 3 months after surgery.
6. You may swim, but do not put your head under the water for two weeks after the surgery.
7. Do not perform any strenuous activity for the first 2 weeks after surgery. This will allow time for the stitches to heal.
8. Please refrain from blood thinners for 1 more week after surgery unless otherwise instructed.
9. If you experience post operative discomfort, you may take over the counter Tylenol 500 mg to 650 mg by mouth every 4 to 6 hours as needed. If you are unable to take Tylenol, please discuss your options with Dr. Hui.
10. Slight bloody discharge from the area operated on is normal and should be expected.
11. Please call us if you have any severe pain, excessive bleeding or vision loss. If you have any emergency questions, please call 760-610-2677.